Monday, October 15, 2007

Bedtime- and a cute story

When Kathryn goes to sleep, she hugs this soft sweet little bear or one nearly like it up close to her (it's sooo cute). I could NEVER get Nicholas to attach to anything...except these little blue bibs that attached to his pacifiers and kept him from throwing them. When he was 9 months old, and still had not once taken a real nap, or slept through the night, I finally came upon those bibs. They were my ticket to sleep and sanity, as he would eventually stop crying and was unable to throw his passy, so would put it back in his mouth and go back to sleep. They snapped on in the back, and had an elephant on the front, (some of you will remember them well) and the elephant's trunk went thru the passy and kept it from falling off. Well, he got used to the tags on the bibs, and so became attached to the passy AND the bib with the tag, as he would put his finger through the tag and rub the tag between his fingers. I had a stash of the bibs, which I found only at Toys R Us, but eventually they no longer carried them. I had to wash the bibs daily, because Nicholas would slobber as he sucked his passy, and after about 24 hours or so, they would get pretty nasty. Well, my stash, dwindled down, eventually to maybe about 3 or so, as the bibs wore out, broke, and some of the tags tore off. He didn't want to wear one if it had a broken tag....then it was defective. And other similar bibs I found weren't good enough, because they didn't have looped tags! I actually remember putting two bibs on at once. One that still would hold the passy, but had no "tag to rub" and another that was broken and wouldn't hold the passy, but still had a tag. I began trying to get him started on a "lovie" knowing the bib days were drawing to an end, bought him some small blankies with tags, etc., but nothing else ever was good enough. Eventually, at the age of 3 or so, he declared he was going to throw away his bibs and passy. The first night, I remember he cried and said, "but I don't want to suck my finger" and I told him he didn't have to suck anything. And I tried giving him all kinds of things with tags, but it was a package deal. No passy, no tags. And he never became attached to any other stuffed animal to sleep with. (except, he would occasionally, as he got a bit older, and still does now and then, search under my pillow, grab MY nightgown, and hold it, cuddle it and fall asleep with it) Once, while I was in MD, visiting my father in the hospital this summer, he was at my friend Barb's house, and he took my nightgown, which I had been wearing all week, and had clutched it to himself. Then, (oh how embarrassing) had everyone smell my nightgown because it smelled so good! (He told them it smelled like cherry sno cones-{because he often saw me eating my sugar free crushed ice at night before bed.} So, my son, hugs my nightgown, but my granddaughter, she hugs her cute little lovey, teddy bear.

1 comment:

dubby said...

So long time no hear! Congrats on joining the blogosphere. With one kid in Alaska, one in Florida, one in boot camp, and the baby getting ready to leave for Idaho in January, we have had some changes in our lives as well.

How fun to be a grandmother! I'm jealous!

Debbie F